Apr 27, 2014

Creamy Cream Lace Shrug

I have a wedding coming up this july, so obviously I need something lacy for the evening chills! :)
And what is better than a seamless lace knitted shrug to wear with a soft summer dress?!
Look at this lacy beauty in cream... <3


This shrug is knitted seamlessly from sleeve to sleeve. I used a free ravelry pattern by Kristiina V. So, the credit for the pattern goes to her. But I modified the pattern a bit.
The pattern comes in four sizes (XS, S, M and L) and is intended to be loose fitted. I didn't want it to be too loose. So, I decided by checking the given measurements for the different sizes, to go with the XS version of the pattern.

I knitted the piece with two balls of lace merino yarn by Lana Grossa. I really like merino because it's warm and light at the same time. I also love it because it's soo soft thanks to the short merino fibers. The perfect yarn for a lacy summer knit! :)
I chose the colour cream. Since I don't have a dress for the wedding yet, this will work for any dress on one hand and on the other hand I also love cream ;)


What did I modify?
Well, first, I knitted the whole shrug seamlessly by knitting the sleeves in the round, then changing to flat knitting for the body part and joining into the round again for the other sleeve. The pattern only includes instructions for knitting the whole shrug flat and then seaming the sleeves afterwards. But if you're like me and you're not crazy in love with seaming, have a look at the tutorial post. I will show you the changes in the pattern and how to switch between round and flat knitting.

The next thing I modified is the collar around the body part. The pattern uses the same k1-p1-rib as on the cuffs of the sleeves. Because I'm going to wear the shrug at a wedding, I changed the collar rib to give the shrug a more romantic and chic look. I used a double rib (k2, p2) and picot cast-off for the edging. (I will also show you how to do that in the tutorial)


And the last thing I changed is the sleeve length. According to the pattern the shrug comes with short sleeves. I changed that to three-quarter length sleeves. That's really not a big change, as I simply knitted them longer after the increasing was done. But I'd rather have longer sleeves but still no full length sleeves.


After I finished the shrug, I had a feeling of "something is missing". Therefore, I simply added a small crochet flower. This creates an even more romantic and also very feminine style.
Because I liked the ruffle flower on my spring crochet wreath so much, I used this pattern by Craftpassion again.


Last but not least, I just want to show you the simple but beautiful lace pattern again. I really like it! <3


Ok, if you want to know how to knit a shrug like this seamlessly, simply go to my TUTORIAL! :)

Happy knitting! 

5 comments:

  1. Hi. I am trying to knit this shrug but am having problems finding the pattern? I have the 3cm ribbing and lace pattern (4rows) I don't know how long to make sleeve before increasing?
    Can you help please? Thanks,
    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I am trying to knit this shrug but am having problems finding the pattern? I have the 3cm ribbing and lace pattern (4rows) I don't know how long to make sleeve before increasing?
    Can you help please? Thanks,
    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimberley! You can find the link to the pattern directly beneath the very first picture on top of this post. It's a link to Ravelry where you can download it as a pdf file.
      The directions and increase rates for the sleeves can be found on top of the second page of the pattern. Depending on which size you are making you can follow those instructions.
      Happy knitting!

      Delete
  3. Thank you. I found it and am done the first sleeve :)

    ReplyDelete