Jan 12, 2024

New pattern - ORLA cowl

 I am very happy to share with you my first pattern of 2024, ORLA cowl!











 

 

ORLA cowl is the matching accessory to ORLA sweater. It features the same fascinating texture surrounded by delicious garter stitch.
Loose yourself in this perfectly small project and create your own feel good accessory. It’s an ideal project to use up some sweet left over yarn. This cowl only uses about 200m/219yards of DK weight yarn to keep you warm and cozy. Alternatively you can use light fingering weight yarn held double (which equals DK weight) and create your very own look.
The cowl is worked seamlessly in the round one half at a time. Starting with a provisional cast on in the middle of the cowl allows for identical edges at the top and the bottom as well as it makes seaming unnecessary. 

When designing Orla sweater I was flirting with the idea of a turtle neck instead of a round neckline. And in the end, I decided against it. But still I couldn't quite shake the desire to have some part of Orlas beautiful texture warming my neck. And that's how Orla cowl came to life.











I loved knitting my sample for this design. I've been using a light fingering weight yarn, Sarah by Permin (50% merino, 50% shetland wool) held double. The same as for the sweater design sample. It is a very lovely yarn that I fell in love with but which was only available in light finering weight. But when designing the sweater I wanted to design a cozier, more wooly-wintery sweater than the Solros sweater I designed last year. So I decided for holding the yarn double. 

Using two strands of light fingering weight yarn together also opens a world of creating your very own version of this design. By choosing two different colors or two colors close to each other you can create a depth to the look of the finished cowl and really make it your own.

Orla cowl is also a perfect small project to use some of that squishy delicious left over DK weight yarn from a sweater or so that you might have in your stash and are still looking to use. 

This design is a very engaging knit, not only because of its captivating flowery texture elements, but also because it has this very interesting construction. Starting with a provisional cast on in the middle of the cowl it is then knitted outwards one half at a time.
To top it off the strechy icelandic bind off is used, which is a perfect fit for the garter stitch background and gives enough space for a comfortable fit.
And since there's the same bind off at the top and the bottom of the cowl, both sides match and create perfect harmony.

 

 I hope you love ORLA cowl as much as I do and make it your very own favorite winter accessory.

To celebrate the release of the pattern enjoy 20% off this pattern with code ORLA in my Ravelry store until Sunday, January 21.


Have an awesome weekend!

Stefanie

 


No comments:

Post a Comment